Starting in 2008, the city began an initiative called “Plan, Perform, Perfect” or “P3” for short. Through this initiative, City leadership wanted to put in a place a system of performance measurement and management that enables the Charlottesville to do the following:
- Focus on results rather than activities;
- Align results to the City Council’s Strategic Vision and Initiatives;
- Serve as a management tool for the City Manager and Department Heads on which to evaluate progress of various programs and services;
- Report to City Council and the public on what the City is doing and how well we are doing it;
- Create a more comprehensive budget process, with decisions based on data, research and evidence;
- Include greater participation from City staff and the public;
- Promote collaboration and coordination among partners (i.e. departments, agencies, etc.); and,
- Improve transparency in all areas of the organization.
Several City departments, including Fire, Parks and Recreation, and Public Works, now share individual scorecards online. Each scorecard provides the public with a “snapshot” of how the City performs in each department or area to encourage a connected community with a citizen-focused government. The City plans to add more departments to the website in the near future too.