34 MIN WATCH
Virtual Idea Session: Engaging Your Team in Strategy Execution Recap
Read the recap below on our interactive session where your peers shared challenges and successes in engaging their team in strategy execution.
This week, we hosted a virtual idea session, Engaging Your Team in Strategy Execution, to coincide with the release of our exciting new e-book, Making Strategy Everyone’s Job.
Many of our ClearPoint Community members have shared with us both their challenges and successes experienced during their journeys of embedding strategy in their organization’s everyday culture. With this in mind, we wanted to provide a platform for peer-to-peer learning, which is a powerful tool for improving our communities, especially around this important topic.
With a full house, we kicked off the hour with quick introductions followed by a high-level overview of the six themes highlighted in the Making Strategy Everyone’s Job e-book:
- Creating Strategic Awareness
- Creating Ownership
- Integrating Strategy with Other Processes
- Aligning Competency and Skill Development
- Aligning personal goals
- Aligning incentives
We then dove into two back-to-back break-out sessions where participants were split into rooms to first talk about their challenges and then to share their best practices. Behind the Zoom curtain, this is what we heard.
Break-Out Session #1
What challenges are you facing in executing your strategy across your organization?
- Getting leadership buy-in
- Getting staff buy-in, which can be overwhelming for them when they barely have enough time to get the work that they are doing done
- Departments all have their own strategies, creating a silo effect
- Working with elected officials who are on a two-year cycle is a challenge
- The constant pivoting in 2020 and having to change directions
- Getting everyone together and collaborating
- CARES Act funding is driving their work and strategic projects are on the back burner
- Tendency to focus on one goal and neglect the remaining goals
- People not seeing themselves in the plan
Break-Out Session #2
What are some best practices that you’ve implemented to help you execute your strategy across your organization? What has been the value add?
- Meet on a regular basis to keep people involved and engaged
- Create ownership so that people can relate it back to their role and position
- Include everyone in the planning process
- Choose the top three strategic priorities to discuss in meetings
- With employees remote, create an outline format of your strategy and keep it in front of your team
- Simplify everyone’s reporting obligations with ClearPoint
- Integrate strategic planning into budget process
- Through meetings and processes, make sure leadership knows when budget decisions are outside of your strategic framework
- Give leaders a problem to solve so they are focused and have something they are striving for from a strategic lens
To be successful with your organization’s strategy and performance management efforts, your strategic plan cannot simply sit on a shelf, nor can it be exclusive to the strategy or leadership teams. The plan needs to come to life, be part of your organization’s culture, and everyone in the organization needs to know how they fit into the plan and contribute to your organization’s success. Interested in learning more? Download the Making Strategy Everyone’s Job e-book for some real, brass-tack takeaways you can use right away to help engage your team in strategy.