With ClearPoint Sync, you now have the ability to make updates to summary reports directly from the Excel export, and vice versa. All you need to do is install a plug in for your Excel and start making those real-time updates! Learn more about how to use ClearPoint Sync below.
Setting up the plug-in
1) Start on your desktop. Add a new folder called ‘Excel Add-Ins’ and save the ClearPoint Sync file in the folder. If you do not currently have this file, you can reach out to email@example.com to request it.
2) Right click on the ‘Excel Add-Ins’ folder you just created, then click Properties.
3) Click on the Sharing tab.
4) Click on Share. A new window will open.
5) Click on your name.
6) Click ‘Share’.
Note: You can also choose to share with other people by selecting ‘Everyone’ and then changing the permission to ‘read/write’.
7) Copy down the Network Path that appears under the name of your folder, “Excel Add-ins”.
It should look something like this: \\YOURCOMPUTER-ID\Users\YourName\Desktop\Excel Add-Ins.
8) Click ‘Done’ and then close the other window.
9) Open Excel sheet and click on ‘Options’ in the lower left hand corner.
10) Click on ‘Trust Center’ from the left menu.
11) Click on the ‘Trust Center Settings’ button. A new window will appear.
12) Click on ‘Trusted Add-In Catalogs’.
13) Paste the Network Path from Step 7 into the ‘Catalog Url’.
14) Then click on ‘Add Catalog’. It will be added to the list.
15) Check the check box under ‘Show in Menu’.
16) Click ‘OK’.
Once you have completed these steps, you can close Excel.
Using ClearPoint Sync
1) In ClearPoint, find a measure summary report that you would like to update using Excel.
Note: Remember that only data and HTML fields (such as Series Status or Analysis) can be updated from Excel through ClearPoint Sync. Current custom field types that are compatible include string, long text, HTML text, HTML with Data, numeric, currency, integer, accounting, percent, and date! If you have further questions about this, feel free to reach out to our Support Team!
2) Click the drop down arrow next to the Pencil icon.
3) Select ‘Export to Excel’.
Once downloaded, save the Excel version of the measure summary report. Then double click to open the file in Excel.
4) The first time you use ClearPoint Sync you will need to click on ‘Insert’.
5) Click on ‘My Add-Ins’ from the tool bar.
6) Click on the ‘Shared Folder’ tab.
7) Click on ‘ClearPoint Add-In’ to highlight it.
8) Then click on ‘Add’.
9) The add-in will appear on the top navigation as a box on the right-hand side on the Home tab. Now you are all set up!
Note: The first time you click to Refresh or Post, you will need to log in using your ClearPoint credentials.
‘Refresh’ from ClearPoint to Excel
1) Back in ClearPoint, you can make updates to the data or HTML fields in the summary report.
2) Then, go back to the Excel file and click the ‘Refresh’ button on the right-hand side of the tool bar where the ClearPoint Sync plug-in has been added.
3) This will bring the most up to date information from ClearPoint into the Excel sheet. Any updates that you make to the data or HTML fields in the summary report in ClearPoint will automatically populate in Excel.
‘Post’ from Excel to ClearPoint
1) In the Excel file, update the cell values with new data or information.
2) Click on the ‘Post’ button on the right-hand side of the tool bar.
3) Back in ClearPoint, the updates you made in Excel will automatically populate.
Using ClearPoint Sync with Excel Online
In addition to installing the Excel add-in to your installed version of Excel, you can also set up ClearPoint Sync to be used on your online Excel files that are saved to your shared drive, such as SharePoint or OneDrive. Follow the steps below to get this set up!
1) To start, make sure you have the ClearPoint Sync manifest file saved somewhere on your computer. If you do not currently have this file, you can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to request it.
2) Follow these instruction to export a summary report to Excel from ClearPoint. Make sure to check the box to ‘Generate for ClearPoint Sync’ after selecting to Export.
3) Download and save the Excel file to your shared drive.
4) Open the Excel file in your browser. Make sure it is the online version and does not open in your installed version of Excel.
5) Click on the ‘Insert’ tab.
6) Click on ‘Office Add-ins’ in the tool bar.
7) Click on ‘Upload My Add-in’ in the top right of the window that appears.
8) Click on ‘Browse’ and select the ClearPoint Sync manifest file.
The ClearPoint Sync options will automatically appear on the Home tab of the tool bar, and can be used just like the offline version of Excel (see above instructions). Once this has been installed for one online Excel file, it will be available for all other Excel files using the online version!
A few helpful reminders
- ClearPoint Sync is currently available for Measure, Initiative, Action Item, and Risk summary reports.
- Once you have exported your summary report to Excel, it is important to maintain the original structure. Deleting rows or columns in the spreadsheet may break it.
- Most ‘Edit’ fields in ClearPoint cannot be changed in Excel or ClearPoint through ClearPoint Sync. This includes element name, series name, reporting frequency, attachments, discussion threads, status icons (manually evaluated), Parent/Children/Linked Elements field, data grid custom fields, chart reference fields, and calculated fields.
- The supported default fields are owner, collaborator, tags, analysis, recommendations, series status, start date, end date, completed, and percent complete.
- The supported custom fields are string, long text, HTML text, HTML with Data, numeric, currency, integer, accounting, percent, date, link, picklist, multi-picklist, user picklist, boolean (Y/N).
- If you have any further questions about what can and cannot be updated using ClearPoint Sync, check with our Support Team at email@example.com !