Using Webhooks in ClearPoint
Webhooks allow apps to send automated messages to other apps. For example, it’s how PayPal tells your accounting application when your client pays you. They can also be leveraged to message teammates on Microsoft Teams or Slack when an Objective status becomes Below Plan in ClearPoint. Learn how to configure Webhooks in ClearPoint to connect to these other applications!
Using ClearPoint ‘Webhooks’
1) The first step we need to do is go to Zapier to create a URL that our Webhook can use. If you don’t already have an account, create one–it is free. Once you do this, you’ll select to ‘Make a Zap!’
2) For your Trigger App, select ‘Webhooks’.
3) For ‘Choose TriggerEvent’, select ‘Catch Hook’.
4) Hit ‘Continue’.
5) On the next screen, you will see a URL. Highlight everything and copy or simply hit the ‘Copy’ button.
6) Log into ClearPoint and go to Admin Options.
7) Click into ‘Webhooks’.
8) Hit the plus icon to create a new Webhook.
9) Give it a name in the ‘Name’ field.
10) In the URL field, paste in the copied URL from Zapier.
11) For ‘Options’, select if you want to Fire on Scorecard Changes or Fire on Notifications. To learn more about Notifications, check out our article on creating custom Notifications.
12) Choose the Scorecard(s) or Notification that the Webhook should monitor for changes.
13) Select which type of change will trigger a response.
14) Hit ‘Save’ once completed.
15) Once this is done, you need to test that everything is configured correct. Go to Manage Objectives.
16) Hit the plus to create a new Objective.
17) Once you’ve given it a name, hit ‘Save’.
18) Go back to Zapier and hit ‘Continue’. Once you do this, select ‘Find Hook’.
19) If configured correctly, you should see a green check mark for the sample Objective you created. Once you do this, you can begin setting up your Action.
20) Then, once successfully tested, you can select an ‘Action’, which occurs after your Webhook is triggered.
21) Once you’ve configured your ‘Action’ step, you can turn your Zap on, and you’re good
Sample ClearPoint ‘Webhooks’
1) Every time a Measure falls to Below Target, send me a message on Microsoft Teams.
2) Any time a new Initiative is added in any Scorecard, send a message to our Project Team’s Slack channel.
3) Every time an Objective is deleted, populate a line in a Google Sheet, so we have a running tab of all archived Objectives.
4) When I am assigned as a Collaborator of an Initiative, put time on my calendar to review with the other Collaborators.