Creating and editing a summary report
Build summary reports
ClearPoint summary reports provide a way to view multiple strategic elements and related information all together, track trends in data over time, and share the results with various audiences. This article explains how to create a measure summary report. The process is the same for objective, initiative, action item, and risk summary reports as well!
Adding a new summary report
To start, decide which element will be the focus of the report – this will inform which top menu dropdown menu to select.
1) For a measure summary report, select the Measures top menu dropdown and click on ‘Manage Measure Reports’.
2) Click the Plus icon to add a new summary report.
3) Give the report a name. Keep the Report Type as ‘Standard’ and Access Type as ‘Global’.
A ‘Standard Report’ allows you to set measure fields as each column. An ‘Alignment Matrix’ shows the relationship between measures and the measures they are linked to in child scorecards. A ‘Dashboard’ report shows all selected charts.
For ‘Access Type’, ‘Global’ can be seen by all users with access to the scorecard, ‘Private’ can only be seen by the creator of the report, and ‘Restricted’ can only be seen by specified user groups.
4) If you are interested in learning about how to leverage ‘Page Breaks’, check out this help article.
5) To use the summary report template library, take a look at this help article.
6) Finally, check the box to ‘Hide page title on exported reports’ to remove the name of the report from the PDF export.
‘Columns’ tab – Selecting fields to include in the report
1) Click the ‘Add Column’ button to add additional fields to the report.
2) Check the boxes next to the field names to include them.
3) Use the tabs at the top to toggle between element types and select fields related to those elements as well.
Fields can be filtered by searching in the ‘Filter Fields…’ search bar or using the dropdown menu to filter by certain field types.
4) After selecting the fields you would like to include, click Save.
‘Columns’ tab – Standard Options
1) Drag and drop the columns to adjust the ordering.
2) Type in the box under ‘Column Header’ to provide a custom name for a field for this particular report.
3) Adjust the width of each column in the report by typing into the box under ‘Width’. The other widths will automatically adjust so that the full width of the report is 100%.
4) Click the yellow ‘X’ in the top right of a column to remove it from the report.
5) Lastly, use the ‘Group By’ menu dropdown to indicate which element the report will be based on. In other words, the element linkages displayed in the report will be in relation to the element that the report is grouped by.
‘Columns’ tab – Advanced Options
1) Check the box next to ‘Show Advanced Options’.
2) Adjust the minimum pixel width of the report by typing in the box under ‘Min Pixel Width’.
3) If you check the box next to ‘Full Width’ for a column, it will span across the top of the report.
4) The table style can be customized for individual columns using the ‘Style’ dropdown menu. To change the table style for the whole summary report, use the ‘Table Style’ menu at the bottom of the edit window instead. Follow the instructions in our article on Creating custom table CSS styles to add more table styles to your account!
5) For elements with Owners and Status, check the box next to ‘Show Owner’ or ‘Hide Status’ to control this at the individual column level.
6) Indicate how many periods of data to show for each update field included in the report under the ‘Display’ section.
‘Measure’ tab – Determining the measures to include in the report
1) Check the box next to the scorecards to include measures from. To include only specific measures from the scorecard, select the ‘Click to select specific elements’ button.
2) Check the boxes next to the specific measures to include in the report and click Save.
‘Filter’ tab – Setting criteria to narrow down measures included
1) If you would like to further narrow down the elements included in the summary report, click the Plus icon to add filter criteria.
The elements and fields that you can filter on are based on the type of report it is. For a measure summary report you can filter on measures or series.
‘Element Order’ tab – Customizing the order in which the measures appear
1) Check the box next to ‘Use Custom Element Sort Order’
2) Drag and drop, or use the blue up and down arrows, to customize the order that the measures will appear in the report.
Wondering why summary reports are so important? Take a look at our Summary Report Care Package to gain some insight!
Need some additional help setting up your summary report? Reach out to our support team at email@example.com!