~ 5 MIN READ
KPI Software: How to Track Your Key Metrics Strategically
Chances are, you’re wasting time with your current KPI data gathering techniques. But you don’t have to continue.
In order to successfully track all of your key performance indicators (KPIs), you need to gather data from across your organization.
For many, this process turns into a nightmare: Someone from finance submits data from his finance reporting system, someone else from HR submits data using Excel, and the sales team sends its data via email—and you’re stuck spending all of your time trying to get the data formatted appropriately for the monthly leadership meeting.
Turns out, you’re going through all that pain unnecessarily. There’s a much simpler way to create a single, clean, cohesive monthly KPI report: ClearPoint reporting software.
Hundreds of companies trust ClearPoint to simplify their reporting processes and help them take their companies to the next level. And because we know that you sometimes have to experience a software to truly understand its benefits, you can try ClearPoint for free—right now—with no strings attached. Simply schedule 15 minutes with one of our experts and they’ll show you around. Then, you can get into ClearPoint for a 15-day free trial, with our team helping you along the way.
If you’d like to learn more before seeing how ClearPoint would work for your organization, keep reading. Below, we’ve outlined ten things you can do in ClearPoint that enable you to track your key metrics simply and strategically.
- Build informative charts tracking measures. Compared to data presented in a table format, charts make it much easier to see how a measure is performing. With ClearPoint, you can create charts that automatically calculate trends or feature plot bands to quickly visualize when data is on or off track. Your charts can even be branded with your company colors.
- Send regular RAG status and data entry alerts. Ever walk into a reporting meeting where one member of the leadership team tells you they’ve never seen the information you’re currently reviewing? It’s a common issue—but ClearPoint KPI software eradicates it. With the ClearPoint system, measure owners and leadership can be alerted when data has been updated or when a measure they’re linked to has changed from green to yellow.
- Assign an owner to each of your KPIs. By assigning ownership of each measure within the ClearPoint software, you’re able to stay up-to-date with what measure information has been added, what information you still need, and who you need information from. And the same is true in reverse; each measure owner knows what they’re responsible for updating and whether they owe you data, without having to send an email or give you a call to find out. To top it all off, you can use ClearPoint to easily send reminders to users to update this information.
- Show your data. Once you assign owners, you can customize how you show data to ensure its effective. In ClearPoint, you can filter all your data by “current user,” displaying the data in a tailored fashion for the person logging into the system. When you log in, ClearPoint shows your information in a table; when your colleague logs in, it shows her information in the same table. This is an effective way to simplify and control the information you share across your organization. Plus, when sending reminders, all measure owners can be emailed the same link showing them what they need to update.
- Automatically source data from other systems. The ClearPoint API enables you to pull data directly from any system or spreadsheet into the software without manual entry. Set it to pull in data on a schedule (monthly, quarterly, or YTD), and forget about it! Your reports will show that your data is being updated on a regular basis, which means you’ll save time (no need to reach out to report owners for this information!).
- Leverage automated calculations. There’s no need to write complex formulas to analyze information. ClearPoint’s built-in calculations allow you to take your current data and make it quarter-to-date or year-to-date. You can also compare year-over-year data in the same chart using a simple calculation, run SQL calculations, or even compare data between two different measure sets. In short, you can go way beyond target and actual metrics, getting much more sophisticated calculations to help forecast your future.
- Sync your Excel files. Communicating between files and programs can get messy and create silos of information. ClearPoint Sync is a plugin that allows you to export tables to Excel, manipulate the data as needed, and then load the Excel files with their fresh information back into ClearPoint for tracking. It’s automated and happens with the push of a button, making it easy to use ClearPoint as the central hub for all your strategic information.
- Create a one-page summary report. Instead of your measure owners having to comb through various spreadsheets, you can build summary reports to show qualitative and quantitative information on the same page. ClearPoint even enables owners to add and update various manually collected KPIs into a single form. This saves time for everyone involved, and provides a single place where all important information can be viewed in a quick snapshot.
- Recycle data in multiple reports. There’s no rule saying you should only use data points once. And it doesn’t need to be a cut-and-paste hassle to apply the same data to multiple reports. ClearPoint allows you to automatically pull data into any report you want. For example, you can use the quarterly sales revenue number in a finance report, sales report, and leadership team report. It can be used on its own or in an equation in a separate measure to get sales/FTE as well.
- Build reports in multiple formats for different audiences. ClearPoint’s KPI software makes it simple to take data from across your organization and build report layouts that suit the various audiences that will be viewing them. You can use ClearPoint to create the dashboard you need for financial data, the heatmap you need for sales data, and the PDF briefing book you need for executive meetings. Your reports can show the last three periods of data for the sales team or year-over-year data for the finance team. The format and data included are entirely flexible. And of course, all reports are dated for version control purposes.
ClearPoint also has a comprehensive version control capability, so you can see who has been making changes or adding information in your account. Even if data is automatically loaded, you can see who is responsible for the package. This provides both transparency and accountability as you collaborate across your organization to reach your strategic goals.
Get started with ClearPoint KPI software today!
Our goal is to help you save so much time on reporting that you’re able to refocus that time on solving strategic challenges and planning for your company’s future. Give ClearPoint KPI software a try today! Simply click on the button below and pick a time on the calendar to get a live, no-strings-attached demo of our software.